Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Just Trying to Help

* I offered to take dinner to a friend on a strict milk-free, gluten-free diet. I figured baked chicken would be a safe meal to take in along with gravy, vegetables, and salad. I was pretty proud of myself for knowing how to make chicken gravy from scratch without using milk and thought that would go perfectly. However, it wasn’t until I finished making the gravy I realized that, although it did not contain milk, it did contain flour. Why was I thinking only wheat flour had gluten?! I assumed I was safe with the vegetables, however, I was wrong on that front as well. The precooked and seasoned vegetables I was cooking turned out to be coated in a yummy smelling cream sauce… the main ingredient being milk. Ack! Even with all my errors I somehow managed to deliver a milk-free, gluten-free dinner more or less on time. Of course, an hour later I was told by a mutual friend that the meal was also supposed to be organic. Some days I just can’t win!

No comments:

Post a Comment